Sunday, February 8, 2009

Selling Art


I tried for years to go the route of selling my work. I took classes, I learned craft after craft, I tried to sell at craft fairs. It took me this long to realize that I don't craft well. I can respect people who do but I don't make pretty things. And that's great with me now, I'm having more fun with art than I've ever had. I feel so free. I think that's what it's all about (for me anyway). I should mention that I played in 2 rock bands and tried starting an improvisation group during the last 15 years as well. I've also taken poetry classes and tried my hand at writing short stories...I always wanted to be a writer but really I'm a visual artist and that's becoming more clear to me. Even if I don't get a show down the road or never do anything more than this blog, I am truly happy with what I'm doing. And already have several other concepts lined up after this game phase passes.
Picture here is a pile of unsold left-overs from a crafts fair. You can see why I didn't make much money.

2 comments: